in Strategic Communication
Washington State University’s online Master’s Degree in Strategic Communication is designed for those who want to excel in advertising, public relations, corporate communication, and communication management.
Whether you have no training in strategic communication or are a seasoned professional, the degree will advance and energize your career. Our multidisciplinary approach:
- Offers expertise in new and traditional media, critical for today’s strategic communications
- Teaches students how to gather and analyze information and use those findings in creating communication campaigns
- Trains students, in the tradition of Edward R. Murrow, to create messages that are both strategic and responsible
- Includes weekly online instructor office hours, frequent student self-assessment tools, ongoing interaction with other students, and a cohort structure in which students go through the program with the same group
The master’s degree offers hands-on training in the most advanced platforms, tools and techniques. You will work closely with industry professionals and faculty to learn audio and video software, graphic design tools, new media and publication layouts. By the time you are finished, you will have created multimedia materials that are evaluated by peers and produced as portfolio-quality items stored online. This work is tailored to each individual career, or even your specific job needs.
Tuition and financial aid
The degree requires 30 credits. All courses are available online.
Get all the details!
Attend an online info session
Professional Core Courses - 12 credits
- COM 561: Professional Multimedia Content Creation
- COM 562: Crisis Communication in Global Contexts
- COM 563: Ethics for Professionals
- COM 564: Research Methods for Professionals
Strategic Communication Core Courses - 15 credits
- COMSTRAT 561: Persuasion for Professional Communicators
- COMSTRAT 562: Creative Media Strategies & Techniques
- COMSTRAT 563: Professional Digital Content Promotion
- COMSTRAT 564: Consumer Behavior and Brand Development
- COMSTRAT 565: Professional Marketing Communication Management and Campaigns
Capstone Course - 3 credits
- COMSTRAT 566: Capstone Project/Portfolio Preparation and Presentation
Why The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication?
The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication is among the strongest graduate programs in the nation. In 2012, it was named one of the top 25 U.S. communication programs by NewsPro magazine. In 2010, the National Research Council rankings placed the Murrow College among the top 25 graduate programs in communication. Our clinical faculty remain active in their professional fields, which means you learn cutting-edge technologies and the best practices that give you a key advantage in the workplace.
Applicants will be evaluated by the Murrow graduate selection committee, which will require official copies of undergraduate transcripts, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, and a written statement of purpose. GRE scores are NOT required. Apply by Dec. 1 to start spring semester, Aug. 1 for fall, and April 15 for the summer term. Visit the Important Dates and Deadlines page for term start dates.
To begin, see the WSU Graduate School website.