- Spring: Dec. 2
- Summer: March 31 (early sessions)
- Fall: July 21
- Spring: Jan. 9
- Summer: May 8 (early sessions)
- Fall: Aug. 21
Bachelor of Science
College of Arts and Sciences
Program of Study
All WSU courses are available online
All WSU undergraduates must complete a minimum of 120 semester credits of which 40 credits must be at the 300 – 400 level. Students must also complete the University Common Requirements (UCORE). These can generally be satisfied with a direct transfer degree. For a list of direct-transfer agreements, visit WSU’s Transferring an Associate Degree page.
Students must also fulfill the College of Arts and Sciences graduation requirements and the program requirements of the degree.
A student may certify a major in biology upon completing 24 credits with a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
The Bachelor of Science degree in Biology requires a minimum of 19 semester credit hours of core BIOLOGY courses (BIOLOGY 106, 107, 301, 372 and 405 or 403). An additional 21 semester credit hours of biological sciences coursework selected in consultation with your biology academic advisor is required. The 21 semester credit hours must include 15 upper division credits, six of which must be BIOLOGY courses taken in residence at WSU.
This is a degree completion program. The program requires credit from science courses to be transferred in from outside of WSU Global Campus.
The following courses must be taken before coming to WSU Global Campus:
- CHEM 101 – Introduction to Chemistry OR CHEM 105 – Principles of Chemistry I
- CHEM 102 – Chemistry Related to Life Sciences OR CHEM 106 – Principles of Chemistry II
- CHEM 345 – Organic Chemistry
- PHYSICS 101 – General Physics
- PHYSICS 102 – General Physics
- BIOLOGY 107 – Introductory Biology: Cell Biology & Genetics
If you need assistance finding courses from other institutions that are equivalent to the courses listed above please visit Transfer Credit or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our admissions counselors are here to assist you.
- MATH 171 [QUAN] – Calculus I
- Statistics: Choose from STAT 212 [QUAN], STAT 412, or PSYCH 311 [QUAN]
- BIOLOGY 220 – Medical Terminology
- BIOLOGY 251 – Introductory Human Physiology (requires one weekend on Pullman campus)
- BIOLOGY/MBIOS 301 – General Genetics
- BIOLOGY/MBIOS 303 – Introductory Biochemistry
- BIOLOGY 330 – Principles of Conservation
- BIOLOGY 333 — Human Nutrition and Health
- Choose from BIOLOGY 352 – Cells or MBIOS 401 – Cell Biology
- BIOLOGY 354 — Human Anatomy for Health Occupations
- BIOLOGY 372 [M] – General Ecology
- BIOLOGY 393 [M] – Professional Communications in Biology
- BIOLOGY 401 [CAPS]/[M] — Plants and People
- BIOLOGY 405 – Principles of Organic Evolution
- BIOLOGY 408 [CAPS]/[M] – Contemporary Genetics
- BIOLOGY 475 – Systems Biology of Reproduction
- BIOLOGY 476 – Epigenetics and Systems Biology
Students must complete the University Writing Portfolio, and two Writing in the Major courses. For online students, the Writing in the Major requirement will be fulfilled with BIOLOGY 372 and BIOLOGY 393 unless an alternative course taken at a different WSU campus is transferred in.
All students, including community college transfer students with an approved transferable AA degree from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, Arizona or Hawaii, or students pursuing a second major in the College of Arts and Sciences, will be held to the following additional requirements:
- Foreign Language: Complete 2 years of high school or 1 year of college in a single foreign language
- Additional 3 semester credits of [SSCI], [HUM], or [ARTS] for a total of 12 semester credits of UCORE
- Additional 1 lab credit of [BSCI], [PSCI] for a total of 8 semester credits and 2 labs.
Please review the online WSU Catalog for additional information about specific degree requirements.