Health Communication & Promotion
Washington State University’s Graduate Certificate in Health Communication and Promotion is designed for individuals who want to advance their professional credentials in health communication advertising, public relations, and digital communications outreach.
Courses are rooted in the foundation of research and theory in partnership with courses that teach students best practices and industry standards in contemporary health communication strategies and tactics. The coursework comprises 12 hours that address best practices in market research techniques, multimedia content creation, crisis communication, professional ethics, and research methods. Students take four courses – two from the professional COM Core in multimedia content creation, crisis communications, professional ethics, or research methods, and another two specifically in health communication and promotion including communicating health in practice and health in a digital landscape.
This certificate is ideal for any professional interested in specializing in health communication such as:
- Health communication specialists
- PR professionals
- Multimedia content creators
- Public information officers
- Social media coordinators
- Communication coordinators
- Awareness campaign coordinators
- Public health specialists
Program of Study—12 semester credits
All courses are available online
This program does not require any undergraduate prerequisites, but applicants must have bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. The minimum GPA requirement for admission into the graduate certificate program is 2.7. Applicants with a GPA below 2.7 are subject to departmental review and consideration.
- The certificate requires four 3-credit courses (12 credits total)
- All courses are offered in fall, spring, and summer semesters
- It is recommended students take no more than two classes per semester
- Students can complete the graduate certificate within one academic year
12 semester credits
Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 throughout the duration of the certificate.
Professional Core Courses
Students will select two COM courses:
- COM 561 – Professional Multimedia Content Creation
- COM 562 – Crisis Communication in Global Contexts
- COM 563 – Ethics for Professionals
- COM 564 – Research Methods for Professionals
Health Communication and Promotion Core Courses
- COMHLTH 571 – Communicating Health in Practice
- COMHLTH 573 – Communicating Health in a Digital Landscape
Once all courses are completed, students may apply for formal admission to the Graduate School and pursue an advanced degree. Certificate students who decide to pursue a graduate degree from Washington State University should contact the Graduate School at 509-335-1446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.