Integrated Strategic Communication
- Spring: December 8
- Summer: April 12 (early sessions)
- Fall: July 26
- Spring: January 8, 2024
- Summer: May 6, 2024 (early sessions)
- Fall: August 19, 2024
Bachelor of Arts
in Strategic Communication
Murrow College of Communication
What You’ll Learn
WSU’s integrated strategic communication major, available entirely online, provides a broad-based curriculum that focuses on both digital and traditional media. Coursework in the program emphasizes theoretically grounded, data-based decision-making to solve problems and innovate. As an integrated strategic communication student, you will acquire skills you need to prepare for careers in corporate communications, social media, community and media relations, advertising and public relations. Jobs are available in public relations firms and advertising agencies as well as in virtually all industries and businesses that require the expertise of communication professionals.
Program of Study
All courses are available online
All WSU undergraduates must complete a minimum of 120 semester credits of which 40 credits must be at the 300 – 400 level to earn a BA in Strategic Communication. At least 30 credits must be from WSU.
All WSU undergraduates must complete the University Common Requirements (UCORE). These can generally be satisfied with a direct transfer degree. For a list of direct-transfer agreements, visit WSU’s Transferring an Associate Degree web page.
12 semester credits
Lower Division Core Requirements provide a basic foundation of communication knowledge to prepare you for upper division courses in communication. A Global Campus integrated strategic communication academic advisor can provide additional information about these courses.
Students must earn a 2.7 cumulative GPA, and pass COM 101, COM 102, COM 105, and COM 138 to enroll in COM 300. COM 300 requires a C or better with a maximum of two attempts. A withdraw from the course counts as an attempt.
Students will take COM 300 in the first semester after completion of the Lower Division Core Requirements.
Core Communication Courses
6 semester credits
- COM 210 [COMM] – Multimedia Content Creation (requires C or better)
- COM 300 – Writing in Communication (requires C or better)
33 semester credits
- COM 309 – Quantitative Research Methods
- COMJOUR 333 [M] – Reporting Across Platforms
- COMSTRAT 301 – Foundations of Persuasion
- COMSTRAT 310 – Digital Content Promotion
- COMSTRAT 312 – Principles of Public Relations
- COMSTRAT 380 – Advertising Principles and Practices
- COMSTRAT 383 [M] – Media Strategies and Techniques for Public Relations
- COMSTRAT 476 – Consumer Insights and Branding
- COMSTRAT 485 [M] – Public Relations Management and Campaigns
- COMSTRAT 495 – Strategic Communication Professional Internship
- MKTG 360 – Marketing
COMSTRAT 395 – Introduction to Integrated Strategic Communication
6 semester credits
- Any 6 semester credits of 300-400 level COM, COMSTRAT, COMJOUR Electives
Transfer students bringing in 30 or more semester credits from an outside institution, and a 3.0 or higher transfer GPA will be directly admitted into the Murrow College. After consulting with a Murrow Professional Academic Advisor, a student transferring with junior status (60 or more semester credits), with a 3.0 or higher transfer GPA, and who has completed COM 101 or COM 105 from another institution, will be allowed to take COM 300 in their first semester at WSU with all remaining 100 level required communication courses. All transfer students are required to consult with a Murrow Professional Academic Advisor prior to enrollment at WSU.
Please review the online WSU Catalog for additional information about specific degree requirements.
Global Campus offers these related undergraduate certificate programs that you can consider pairing with your integrated strategic communications major.