Sustainable agriculture is a rapidly expanding field that enables practitioners to produce abundant food, protect the environment, improve public health and support a gainful economy.
WSU’s nine-credit online certificate gives you graduate-level expertise at researching and improving sustainable agriculture. It is designed for current and future researchers, those already enrolled in a graduate program, and working professionals, such as producers, organic certifying agents, and corporate sustainability officers.
The certificate requires two core courses and one elective from a menu of options. While the certificate can be earned completely online, the electives also include a hands-on internship or practicum that lets you apply your knowledge in your own community, and network with prospective employers. All courses are taught by faculty at WSU’s world-renowned College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences (CAHNRS).
Currently enrolled WSU graduate students can use these credits toward a graduate degree upon approval of the student’s graduate committee. Those not in a WSU degree program can apply as a non-degree-seeking student. All enrollees will need a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA. More information is also available on the CAHNRS website.
WSU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. For more information, visit the WSU Accreditation website.
Program of Study—9 semester credits
Certificate Core Courses
6 semester credits
- AFS 501: Current Research in Organic and Sustainable Agriculture (3 credits)
- AFS 545: Field Analysis of Sustainable Food Systems (3 credits)
3 semester credits
- AFS 302: Introduction to Agroecology (3 credits)
- CROP_SCI 360: World Agricultural Systems (3 credits)
- CROP_SCI 443: Plant Breeding for Organic Agriculture (3 credits)
- IPM 552: Pesticides and the Environment (3 credits)
- SOE 550: Conservation Biology (3 credits)
- SOIL_SCI 480: Practicum in Organic Agriculture (1-6 credits)
- SOIL_SCI 498: Professional Internship (1-6 credits)
Other courses may be accepted upon request.