WSUAA Selects Global Campus Student as First Student Advocate

By Jeff Willadsen, WSU Global Campus Senior Writer

The Washington State University Alumni Association (WSUAA) has chosen Sierra Grindle, a current WSU Global Campus student, to serve as the first student representative on the association’s board.

Sierra Grindle

“I am truly honored to have been selected to serve on the alumni board. I am very grateful for this opportunity,” said Grindle, who also serves as President of the ASWSUG, the Global Campus’ student government.

In this role, Sierra acts as a liaison between student leaders from all WSU campuses and the Alumni Association board.

“When representing WSU students, my top priority is ensuring that I consider all students,” she explained. “The WSU system consists of a great diversity of students, and I am dedicated to using this position to benefit the entire Coug community.”

According to WSUAA President Katey Koehn, this new role was created to better connect Cougar alumni with current students across the WSU system.

“This is the first year we’ve included a student representative on the board,” Koehn said. “Sierra is empowered to bring student questions and perspectives to the WSUAA Board, while sharing with her peers in student government the programming the WSUAA is developing with students in mind.”

Koehn, herself a WSU Global Campus graduate, noted that Sierra was selected because of her active work in student engagement within Global Campus’ diverse, worldwide student body.

“I graduated 10 years ago, and the Global Campus studentexperience has changed since then,” said Koehn. “Sierra brings valuable insight into what today’s online students might need in the future from the WSUAA. She also helps us understand how ASWSUG is engaging with students in meaningful ways.”

Sierra, who is a first generation college student, believes her unique background in higher education makes her well-suited for the role.

“I bring a perspective that allows me to relate to WSU students around the world,” she said. “I am originally from Washington state, but now live in Maine with my husband, who is in the Coast Guard. I have also experienced college both in person and online.”

Sierra added that her visits to various WSU campuses have given her a deeper understanding of their distinctive cultures and offerings.

“I have been fortunate to experience several campuses and gain insight into what makes each one unique. I am committed to addressing the diverse challenges students face and advocating for their needs,” she said.

The WSUAA Board plans to involve students from other campuses in future academic years.

“The WSUAA is excited to continue having student representatives on the board,” Koehn said. “I expect we’ll see students from each of our six campuses in the years ahead.”

“We’re fortunate to have a diverse student body, from traditional and non-traditional students to first-generation and multi-generational students, each with unique backgrounds and life experiences,” she added. “When we intentionally create space for all those stories, we build stronger bonds. Our student leaders help us stay accountable and create meaningful engagement opportunities for these future alumni.”

Sierra will serve as student advocate through the 2024-25 academic year.

“So far, I’ve loved being the student advocate,” Sierra said. “It’s a deeply fulfilling role, and I’m looking forward to the rest of my time in this position.”