WSU’s marketing major is now available completely online and offers students the same rigorous curriculum and educational experience as students attending a physical WSU campus. Students successfully completing all academic requirements of the major will earn a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, and their transcripts will indicated they majored in marketing.
Besides developing a strong foundation in business fundamentals, Carson College of Business marketing majors take courses in consumer behavior, marketing research, promotion management, marketing management, international marketing and elective business courses to prepare them for careers in the dynamic field of marketing.
All types of businesses and organizations, as well as many government agencies, have marketing needs. Job availability for marketers is strong compared to many other business fields. A career in marketing can take people around the world or even allow them work from home.
Entry-level positions include sales assistant or representative, consultant, and marketing associate. Other occupations in marketing include retail manager, advertising, sales, research, distribution, new product introduction, and product pricing. Experienced marketers hold positions such as director of marketing, marketing research manager (consumer, media industrial) and brand manager.
All courses required for the marketing major are online. Most Carson College of Business courses are seven weeks long, and other non-business courses are in the traditional 16-week format during the academic year and in various sessions during summer. This is a flexible program designed for students who want to attend part time or full time. Students admitted to the program will work with their Global Campus academic advisor to map out a plan to degree completion.
WSU’s Carson College of Business is fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the premier accrediting agency for degree programs in business administration.
Visit the Carson College of Business marketing major webpage for additional information about the college and the major.
Why WSU Global Campus?
WSU Global Campus fulfills WSU’s 1890 land-grant mission of expanding access to education. We use new technologies, but uphold old-school values, with courses taught by expert WSU faculty, academic advisors intent on your success, and a diploma backed by a long-established reputation for excellence. U.S. News & World Report has consistently recognized WSU Global Campus in the top 25 colleges and universities offering online undergraduate degrees.
All courses are available online
All WSU undergraduates must complete the University Common Requirements (UCORE). These can generally be satisfied with a direct transfer degree. For a list of direct-transfer agreements, visit WSU's Transferring an Associate Degree web page.
(30 semester credits)
Before advancing to upper-division business and marketing courses, students must become certified in business administration with a major in marketing. Certification is competitive and course enrollments are limited. Students are required to apply for certification. A Global Campus business academic advisor can provide additional information about the process. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements as indicated below are then ranked by academic performance to fill the current quota.Certification Minimum Requirements:
- Certification requires an overall cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher, 60 or more total semester credits completed, and completion of the following certification courses with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher:
- ACCTG 230, 231 - Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting
- B_LAW 210 - Law and the Legal Environment
- MGTOP 215 - Business Statistics
- ECONS 101, 102 - Micro and Macro (prerequisite Math 099 or 101 with a grade of C or better)
- ENGLISH 101 - College Composition
- MATH 201, 202 - Finite Math and Business Calculus
- MATH 171, 172 - Calculus I and Calculus II
- MIS 250 - Managing Information Technology
Students will be placed in rank order based on cumulative GPA and other performance criteria. The top students are then certified based on the number of spots available that semester. Transfer course grades will be used to calculate the certification GPA, but they are not included in the WSU cumulative GPA.
Business Core Requirements:
(15 semester credits)
- FIN 325 - Introduction to Financial Management
- MGMT 301 - Principles of Management and Organization (was MGTOP 301)
- MGTOP 340 - Operations Management
- MKTG 360 - Marketing
- MGMT 491 - Business Strategy and Policy (was MGTOP 491)
ENTRP 492 - Small Business Policy (was MGTOP 492)
Required Marketing Courses:
(15 semester credits)
- MKTG 368 – Marketing Research
- MKTG 407 – Consumer Behavior
- MKTG 477 – Promotion Management
- MKTG 495 [M] – Marketing Management
- IBUS 482 [M] – International Marketing
Upper Division Marketing Electives (2 courses)
- Any 300 or 400 level ACCTG, BLAW, ENTRP, FIN, IBUS, MGMT, MGTOP, MIS or MKTG course
College of Business Graduation Requirements:
- 3 credits of Written Communications: ENGLISH 402 or 403
- 3 credits of Political Science (POL_S)
- 3 credits of Sociology (SOC) or Psychology (PSYCH)
- One of the following Communication courses:
- COM 102 - Public Speaking in the Digital Age
- H_D 205 - Developing Effective Communication and Life Skills
- 2.5 cumulative grade point average in all business courses
- Nine upper division (300 and 400-level) courses must be taken at WSU
- 60 credits must be outside of business disciplines
International Experience Requirement:
The College of Business has a six-credit international experience requirement to help students develop the skills to succeed in the global marketplace. A variety of options exists to fulfill this requirement, including study abroad, international internships, and approved coursework. You will work with your Global Campus academic advisor to determine the best option to fulfill this requirement.
Note: Students who have already completed a business degree through WSU may not return to complete a second business major.
Please review the online WSU Catalog for additional information about specific degree requirements.