Management Information Systems
WSU’s online management information systems major provides high-level IT skills, and teaches you how to apply them in a business environment.
The curriculum focuses on technical, business and managerial knowledge. You will learn to collaborate with non-technical business people, assess organizational needs, and design information systems to meet those needs. Courses include extensive hands-on experience in building software applications.
The MIS program at WSU is recognized as the largest and most comprehensive MIS program in the Pacific Northwest.
All courses are online. Most Carson College of Business courses are seven weeks long, and other non-business courses are in the traditional 16-week format. This is a flexible program designed for students who want to attend part time or full time. Students admitted to the program will work with their Global Campus academic advisor to map out a plan to degree completion using the current course rotation.
WSU’s Carson College of Business is fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the premier accrediting agency for degree programs in business administration.
Why WSU Global Campus?
WSU Global Campus fulfills WSU’s 1890 land-grant mission of expanding access to education. We use new technologies, but uphold old-school values, with courses taught by expert WSU faculty, academic advisors intent on your success, and a diploma backed by a long-established reputation for excellence.
All courses are available online
All WSU undergraduates must complete the University Common Requirements (UCORE). These can generally be satisfied with a direct transfer degree. For a list of direct-transfer agreements, visit WSU's Transferring an Associate Degree web page.
Students must also complete the College of Business graduation requirements and the program requirements of the degree.
(30 semester credits)
To be eligible to certify as a business major, students must meet the minimum requirements as indicated below.
- Complete the following certification courses with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher:
- ACCTG 230, 231 - Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting
- B_LAW 210 - Law and the Legal Environment
- MGTOP 215 - Business Statistics
- ECONS 101, 102 - Micro and Macro (prerequisite Math 099 or 101 with a grade of C or better)
- ENGLISH 101 - College Composition
- MATH 201, 202 - Finite Math and Business Calculus
- MATH 172, 171 - Calculus II and Calculus I
- MIS 250 - Managing Information Technology
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Have earned at least 60 semester credit hours
Business Core Requirements:
(18 semester credits)
- FIN 325 - Introduction to Financial Management
- IBUS 380 - International Business
- MGMT 301 - Principles of Management and Organization (was MGTOP 301)
- MGTOP 340 - Operations Management
- MKTG 360 - Marketing
- MGMT 491 - Business Strategy and Policy (was MGTOP 491) OR ENTRP 492 - Small Business Policy (was MGTOP 492)
MIS Core Requirements:
(9 semester credits)
- MIS 322 - Systems Analysis & Design
- MIS 325 - Enterprise Business Development
- MIS 372 - Data Management
(6 semester credits)
- MIS 271 - Intermediate Business Programming or other 300/400 level MIS course
- Any 300/400 level MIS course
(6 semester credits)
- Two 300/400 level Business courses
College of Business Graduation Requirements:
- 3 credits of Written Communications: ENGLISH 402 or 403
- 3 credits of Political Science (POL_S)
- 3 credits of Sociology (SOC) or Psychology (PSYCH)
- One of the following Communication courses:
- COM 102 - Public Speaking in the Digital Age
- H_D 205 - Developing Effective Communication and Life Skills
- 2.5 cumulative grade point average in all business courses
International Experience Requirement:
The College of Business has a six-credit international experience requirement to help students develop the skills to succeed in the global marketplace. A variety of options exists to fulfill this requirement, including study abroad, international internships, and approved coursework.
Note: Students who have already completed a business degree through WSU may not return to complete a second business major.
Please review the online WSU Catalog for additional information about specific degree requirements.