Master's in Special Education
Recently ranked in the top 20 best online programs in the country by Best Colleges, the WSU Master of Education (EdM) with a specialization in Special Education gives certified teachers the preparation and state endorsement they need to teach pre-kindergarten through 12th grade special education in Washington State.
The program addresses the competencies outlined in the Washington State Special Education Core Competencies for special education teachers, and aims to address a statewide shortage of those teachers. All courses are online, allowing maximum flexibility for working professionals.
The master's degree requires 37 credits, and includes all courses needed for the Washington State Special Education Teaching Endorsement.
The program requires 37 credits. All courses are available online.
- Spec Ed 301, Education of Exceptional Children
- Spec Ed 499, Special Problems
- Spec Ed 501, Teaching Students with Disabilities
- Spec Ed 502, Assessment and Curriculum for Students with Disabilities
- Spec Ed 503, Secondary Education for Students with Disabilities
- Spec Ed 504, Professional Skills in Special Education
- Spec Ed 509, Early Childhood Special Education
- Spec Ed 521, Inclusion Strategies for Special Education Teachers
- Spec Ed 540, Methods in Intensive Educational Supports
- Spec Ed 571, Prevention and Remediation of Reading Disabilities
- Ed Psych 505, Research Methods I
- Ed Ad 507, Social Foundations of Education
- Tch Lrn 702, Master’s Special Problems, Directed Study and/or Examination