Washington State University’s Online Graduate Certificate in Strategic Communication is designed for individuals who want to advance their professional credentials in advertising, public relations, and digital communications. The coursework comprises 12 hours that address advanced media tools, best practices in market research techniques, integrated communication strategy and the design, implementation, and measurement of promotional campaigns across paid, earned, shared, and owned channels.
Courses are rooted in the foundation of research methods in partnership with courses teaching students the best practices and industry standards in contemporary communication strategies and tactics. Students take four courses – two from the professional COM Core in multimedia content creation, crisis communications, professional ethics, or research methods, and another two specifically in strategic communication including creative media strategies and techniques and professional digital content promotion.
This certificate is ideal for:
- PR professionals
- Advertising professionals
- Multimedia content creators
- Public information officers
- Social media coordinators
- Communication coordinators
- Campaign coordinators
Program of Study—12 semester credits
All courses are available online
- The certificate requires four 3-credit courses (12 credits total)
- All courses are offered in fall, spring, and summer semesters
- It is recommended students take no more than two classes per semester
- Students can complete the graduate certificate within one academic year
12 semester credits
Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 throughout the duration of the certificate.
Professional Core Courses
Students will select two COM courses:
- COM 561 – Professional Multimedia Content Creation
- COM 562 – Crisis Communication in Global Contexts
- COM 563 – Ethics for Professionals
- COM 564 – Research Methods for Professionals
Strategic Communication Core Courses
- COMSTRAT 562 – Creative Media Strategies and Techniques
- COMSTRAT 563 – Professional Digital Content Promotion
Once all courses are completed, students may apply for formal admission to the Graduate School and pursue an advanced degree. Certificate students who decide to pursue a graduate degree from Washington State University should contact the Graduate School at 509-335-1446 or email@example.com.
If you have questions about the program, please contact Mickinzie Johnson, recruitment coordinator for the Murrow College, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-335-7333.