Services and Activities (S&A) fees are one component of the total tuition and fees that students pay. S&A fees are used to fund nonacademic student activities, programs, and projects. The fees are used to enhance the student experience by funding student government, student organizations, entertainment, speakers, facilities, and recreation.
S&A fees can only be used to support nonacademic activities, events, facilities/equipment, and programming. Budget requests for S&A funds are reviewed and approved by the S&A Fee Committee each spring.
Each year, a budget for S&A fees is developed by the Committee. The committee is made up of WSU Global Campus students, faculty, and administrators. The total amount to be allocated to the various student groups is based on an estimate of S&A fee revenue from the Washington State University budget office.
In March or April of each year, the committee invites various student groups to present a budget for the coming academic year. In their budget, each group must explain how the requested funds will be used. The committee then develops an overall budget with allocations of the expected revenue to the various groups. The proposed budget is then delivered to the Board of Regents for their approval.
Any WSU Global Campus group, organization, or individual may request funds, but the purpose must be to support non-academic student activities and programs. Recognized student organizations (RSOs) should pursue funding support through ASWSU Global except under special circumstances.
- Fall: New committee member orientation and S&A fund request updates
- January: Committee meets to conduct brief overview, review expectations, and determine schedule
- February: S&A request training for groups seeking allocations
- Early March: Funding requests are due from departments and organizations
- Late March: Committee conducts initial review of all requests
- Late March: Groups present material to committee for consideration and committee conducts deliberations to decide S&A Fee rate and S&A Fee allocations
- Early April: Committee presents recommended fee and allocation of funds to University president
- Early May: Board of Regents reviews S&A Committee recommendation and approves or rejects fee and allocation
- May: Students recommended to University president for approval and the president approves committee members