Professional Science Master’s in Molecular Biosciences
The Professional Science Master’s in Molecular Biosciences is designed to help science students transition into high-paying careers. It is often compared to the Masters in Business Administration, in that it trains students to be leaders and managers in a professional environment.
The PSM combines science with training in ethics and business, bridging the gap between academia and the workplace. One career-oriented aspect of the program is that it requires an internship with a business rather than a thesis. The nationwide shortage of scientists with managerial and business training means PSM graduates will be well positioned for employment.
The PSM is an excellent career choice for:
- Recent graduates with a bachelor’s degree in science who want to expand their science knowledge and develop the business skills needed to enter their chosen career.
- K-12 science teachers seeking additional education for career promotion and increased compensation.
- Midcareer professionals seeking advancement and enrichment in their current careers.
Faculty: WSU’s School of Molecular Biosciences includes 38 renowned faculty, 27 of whom are tenure/tenure track professors, including two distinguished Regents Professors. The SMB faculty are leaders in various areas of research, including Biochemistry and Structural Biology, Cell Biology and Cellular Signaling, Chromatin, DNA Repair and Cancer, Microbial Genetics, Physiology and Infectious Disease, Molecular Genetics, Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology, and Molecular Reproduction.
Reputation: You will have the same diploma as an on-campus student—a diploma backed by WSU’s century-long reputation for excellence.
Pride: As a WSU graduate, you will be welcomed into the proud network of Coug alumni, a group that spans the globe and includes many top industry leaders.
Accreditation: Washington State University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
For admission deadlines and information on how to apply to the program, visit the School of Molecular Biosciences Professional Science Master’s Admissions web page.
If you have questions about the program, please contact Tami Breske at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-335-4318.
The degree requires a minimum of 33 credits. All course are available online.
Get all the details!
Attend an online info session
Required science courses
- MBioS 501 - Cell Biology
- MBioS 503 - Advanced Molecular Biology I
- MBioS 513 - General Biochemistry I
- MBioS 578 - Bioinformatics
One course from each of the following five professional areas:
- Phil 530 - Bioethics
- Phil 532 - Seminar in Business Ethics
- Phil 535 - Adv. Biomedical Ethics
- ENGL 495 - Rhetoric of Science and Technology
- ENGL 595 - Communicating in STEM
- MBIOS 580 - Science Information Literacy
- EM 505 - Finance for Technical Systems
- EM 508 - Legal Concepts for Engineering and Technical Management
- ENTRP 486 - Launching New Ventures
- MKTG 506 - Marketing Management & Admin. Policy
(Tuition for MKTG 506 is at online MBA rate of $775/credit.)
- EM 501 - Management of Organizations
- EM 522 - Leadership, Supervision and Management
- EM 564 - Project Management
- EM 575 - Performance Management in Technical Organizations
- MBioS 583 - Professional Skills Seminar (recommended the first semester of study)
Students must participate in a 320-hour internship with an internship mentor, and enroll in MBios 702 for 1-4 credits during the semester they perform the internship. For more information, visit the MBios PSM Internship web page.
- MBios 702 – Master’s Special Problems
Students are required to take two electives; at least one from each elective group.
Science Course Elective
- MBioS 514 - General Biochemistry II
- MBioS 550 - Microbial Physiology
- MBioS 574 - Protein Biotechnology
- MBioS 584 - Medical Genetics
- MBIOS 585 - Molecular Biotechniques
- MBIOS 586 - Molecular Biotechniques Laboratory
- EM 524 - Program Facilities Management
- EM 526 - Constraints Management
- EM 530 - Applications of Constraint Management
- EM 560 - Integrated Supply Chain Management
- EM 570 - Six Sigma Quality Management
- IBus 380 - International Business
- MGMT/ENTRP 588 - Management of Innovation
(Tuition for MGMT/ENTRP 588 is at online MBA rate of $775/credit.)
- Stats 512 - Analysis of Variance of Designed Experiments
Professional Course Electives