By completing this award application, you are providing information to our review committee for consideration for an ASWSU Global Student Involvement Award. Please take the time to thoroughly complete the application and essay. For information about financial aid, visit the office of WSU Student Financial Services.
|Academic year 2023-2024||Spring 2023 only||Summer 2023|
|July 21, 2023||December 2, 2022||April 24, 2023|
|Apply Online: Academic Year||Apply Online: Spring||Apply Online: Summer|
WSU Global Campus and ASWSU Global (Associated Students of WSU Global Campus) are partnering to offer financial awards that will benefit Global Campus students exclusively. The ASWSU Global Student Involvement Award provides $1,000 each semester. It will be awarded ONLY to new or continuing students admitted to WSU Global Campus and paying Online S&A Fees. Students must be admitted no later than two (2) weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
Application availability dates are as follows:
- Academic Year: August 1, 2022 – July 21, 2023
- Spring Semester: August 22, 2022 – December 2, 2022
- Summer Semester: January 9, 2023 – April 24, 2023
Awards will be awarded based on the following:
- Merit in the category they’ve chosen
- Financial need
Awards will be given in the fall for one academic year (fall and spring semesters), in the spring for spring semester, and in the summer for the summer term. Awards will be disbursed on October 15 (Fall Semester), March 15 (Spring Semester), and June 15 (Summer Semester).
It is important that you complete the award application in a thoughtful, professional manner. This includes using proper grammar and correct spelling in the essay portion of the application.
Academic Standing: Students who have been awarded financial awards must meet the following requirements:
- be admitted to WSU Global Campus and paying Online S&A Fees—Students must be admitted no later than two (2) weeks prior to the beginning of the term
- be enrolled in and complete a minimum of six (6) semester credit hours (three semester credit hours in the summer)
FAFSA: Students applying for an ASWSU Global Student Involvement Award must have submitted a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must include a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) generated from the FAFSA with this application to determine financial need. You can file a FAFSA online. Note: If applying for the summer semester award, please include a copy of the SAR from the prior academic year. Example: For the summer 2021 financial award, submit the SAR from your 2020-2021 FAFSA.
Using some form of word processor (Microsoft Word, Notepad, etc.), answer the topic listed below (all parts). The essay represents an important part of your award application; exhibit your best work. Use plain text only (no bold or underline, etc.) and limit your responses to the number of words indicated. Put your name at the top of the document, but do not identify yourself within the body of the essay.
Topic: Address your experience in ONE of the following categories (approximately 500-750 words), keeping in mind how you can contribute to the future community of involvement at WSU.
- Leadership/Group Contributions: Describe examples of your leadership experience and share how you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time. Consider responsibilities you have taken for initiatives in or out of school.
- Knowledge or Creativity in a Field: Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity: the ability to see alternatives; take diverse perspectives; come up with many, varied, or original ideas; or willingness to try new things.
- Dealing with Adversity: Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge. Include whether you turned to anyone in facing that challenge, the role the person played, and what you learned about yourself.
- Community Service: Explain what you have done to make your community a better place to live. Give examples of specific projects in which you have been involved over time.
Other things to include in your essay:
- Please indicate any specific financial need you might have that has motivated you to apply for this award
- Briefly state your career interests and aspirations (100 words or less)
- Employment/Co-curricular involvement/Public Service/Research & Creative Projects. Please prioritize your top three experiences in these areas over the last three years. Please include the following for each:
- Position/Job Title
- Name of Company/Organization
- Type (e.g., daycare, school, business, club)
- Primary Role
- Dates of Service
- How often did you participate in this activity?