Gary Fox

Our “Global Campus Legends” series celebrates the 30th anniversary of WSU Global Campus by putting a spotlight on the unique experiences and journeys of Global Campus students throughout the years. Each legend features a quote from student who graduated from Global Campus since it was founded as WSU Extended Degree Programs in 1992.   

“I started at WSU in 1976 after a stint in the military. While in Pullman, I met someone who would later become my wife. She graduated in 1978 and when she left WSU, I decided to follow her back to the west side of the state. I had always regretted not completing my degree, so after many years I decided to try the Distance Degree Program.

When the economy slowed back in 2008 and a lot of jobs were in jeopardy, I thought that not having a degree was typically the first throw-out criteria for employers looking at new applicants. If I were to need to find other work, it might be best for me to get a diploma. Fortunately, I didn’t happen to lose my job—but I felt I still needed a degree—if I only for my own satisfaction.

I didn’t realize how hard it would be trying to complete a class or two each semester while still trying to advance my career with a full-time job. In 2011, after what seemed like a lifetime, I finally finished a got my degree. I’m proud of myself and proud to be a Coug.”

-Gary Fox, ‘11